Pre-conference workshop: PHASA Special Interest Group for Health Policy and Systems Research in South Africa
August 25, 2016
Title: The National Health Insurance White Paper – A dialogue drawing on the submissions from three health policy and systems research units
At the 2015 PhASA conference, the PHASA Special Interest Group (SIG) on Health Policy and Systems Research in South Africa (HPSRSA) was launched. The purpose of the SIG is to provide a platform for the Public Health Community in South Africa to engage and discuss the emerging field of health policy and systems research. The workshop at the 2016 conference will create an opportunity for people from different disciplines and practices to discuss key issues in HSPR – in order to establish common ground for collaborative engagement, and to better establish South Africa as an internationally recognized site for HPSR practice
The workshop will comprise two parts. The first part will be a panel discussion with panellists from leading South Africa health policy and system research units and National Department of Health. The aim will be to discuss the NHI white paper, drawing on the recent three submissions from the three institutions represented by the panellists.
This will be followed by a brief presentation by the DOH representative on research required to support the move towards universal coverage as well as national health insurance, and open discussion (initially in groups and then as a plenary). It is hoped that through this engagement the group will exchange ideas, develop a possible future research agenda, cross-institutional collaborations, as well as develop a stronger collective voice in order to influence the national and international HPSR agenda.
- Prof Jane Goudge, Director of the Centre for Health Policy and Chair of the PHASA Health Policy and Systems Research Special Interest Group (SIG), School of Public Health, University of the Witwatersrand;
- Representative(s) of the National Department of Health;
- Professor Diane Cooper, School of Public Health, University of the Western Cap;
- Dr Natalie Leon, Specialist Scientist, Health Systems Unit, Medical Research Council;
- Dr Maylene Shung King, Health Policy and Systems Division, School of Public Health and Family Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Cape Town;
Intended audience: Academics, researchers, health practitioners, policy makers, students and others that have an interest in health policy and systems research.
For more information please contact: Prof Jane Goudge, Director of the Centre for Health Policy and Tel: 011-717-3425; Email: email@example.com
Professor Cathy Matthews, Director of Health Systems Research Unit, South African Medical Research Council; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr Thubelihle Mathole; Senior Researcher, School of Public Health, University of Western Cape; Email: email@example.com